Today, the celebrations of fireworks, parades, and barbecues abound. Children running with sparklers. Pits smoking and smelling of burgers. Swimming pools brimming with elated screams and smiling faces. We’re all celebrating the Independence of America, but so often it is forgotten just what it was that brought us here. I’ve put together 10 amazing and thought provoking quotes that will add just a little more substance to the day’s joyful spirits.
1. Thomas Paine – “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.”
2. George Washington – “It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the bible.”
3. John Adams – “Let us dare to think, speak, and write.”
4. Peter Marshall – “May we think of freedom, not as the right to do as we please, but as the opportunity to do what is right.”
5. Elmer Davis – “This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.”
6. Simone Weil – “Liberty, taking the word in its concrete sense, consists in the ability to choose.
7. Mahatma Gandhi – “Freedom is never dear at any price. It is the breath of life. What would a man not pay for living?”
8. Pericles – “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.”
9. Franklin D. Roosevelt – “In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.”
10. 2 Corinthians 3:17 – “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”
Happy Independence Day, Americans!! Have a gorgeous day, remembering the greatness of our past and look forward to the success of our future.